Gold Key Scholarship guidelines and a PDF version of the 2018-19 scholarship application are below. Please read through the following carefully prior to completing a scholarship application. The scholarship application has fillable fields. To enable the fillable fields, right click on the pdf file, save the file and then open it. Once you complete the application, save it. Send your application and all required documents according to the instructions on the application.
Scholarship applications are no longer being accepted for the 2018-19 academic year. Be on the lookout for the 2019-2020 scholarship application, coming soon. If you are looking for scholarships for Spring 2019, please contact us at 269-965-4161 to inquire if there are funds available.
You must have an Admissions Application on file with the KCC Admissions Office prior to completing the scholarship application. You are required to provide your KCC student ID number on the application.
The Kellogg Community College Foundation Gold Key Scholarships are the College’s most prestigious scholarships, recognizing and encouraging outstanding academic and personal achievement. Funded by several generous private donors, financial need is not a criterion for the Gold Key Scholarship.
The Gold Key Scholarship totals $9,000. Recipients are awarded $4,500 each year for up to two years. All scholarship applications are given equal consideration by a scholarship committee appointed by the KCC Foundation. The selection committee will review the applicant’s academic records, school, community, and service activities. At the completion of the review process, the committee will select Gold Key finalists to appear for a personal interview before a final determination is made on scholarship awards. Acceptance of this scholarship nullifies all other scholarship offers from KCC.
Criteria and Guidelines
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States or eligible non-citizen.
- Graduating from high school in same academic year as application submission (2018 graduate).
- High school cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- ACT of 22 or higher or SAT of 1030 or higher.
- Demonstrate leadership experience, school involvement, community service activity and volunteerism.
- Scholarship funds will be credited to the student’s KCC financial aid account. Scholarship awards can be used for KCC tuition, fees, and/or books. Unused funds will not be refunded.
- Scholarship funds cannot be used at a different college or university.
- KCC employees, spouses and dependents are not eligible.
Gold Key Recipient Responsibilities
- Complete the Leadership Training Institute with the Manager of Student Life in Fall 2018.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student (12 credits or more) for the fall and spring semesters and maintain a minimum 3.2 cumulative grade point average.
- Adhere to the KCC Student Code of Conduct, as specified in the Student Handbook. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of the scholarship.
- Follow an approved KCC curriculum (transfer program or associate’s degree).
- Become a member of the KCC Honors Program, which includes fulfilling Honors Program completion requirements.
- When eligible, join Phi Theta Kappa (the International Honors Society of the Two-Year College) and maintain active involvement.
- Write a thank you letter to your scholarship donor each spring semester.
- Hold a student leadership position on campus, which may be with, but is not limited to: Registered Student Organizations, Vocal and/or Instrumental Music, Theater, the Bruin Newspaper, etc.
- Attend at least one enrichment program each fall and spring semester, on or off campus, such as, but not limited to: theater productions, guest lectures, concerts or film presentations.
- Attend at least one mandatory meeting each fall and spring semester as determined by the Manager of Student Life.
- Submit a completed Gold Key Scholarship Application by March 1, 2018. Download the application and print. Answer each question to the best of your ability.
- Include a copy of your Student Aid Report, if you completed a FAFSA, or complete financial information section.
- Include a copy of DD Form 214, if you are a military veteran.
- Submit an essay of at least 150 words but no more than two pages addressing each of the following:
- What college(s) you plan to attend after KCC.
- Why you have chosen your field of study; what led you to this decision?
- Future career goals; the profession or occupation you intend to enter.
- Describe your leadership experience and what you learned from it.
- Attach a copy of your official high school and college transcripts (if applicable). If you have taken classes at KCC, print a course history in lieu of an official KCC transcript.
- Provide a copy of your ACT or SAT scores.
- Attach a résumé of employment history, education, school and community service activities, and volunteer experiences.
- Enclose two signed current letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, employers, and/or community members.
Click on the Scholarship Packet of Tips & Tools for helpful information in completing your application.
The deadline to apply for a 2018-19 Gold Key Scholarship is March 1, 2018. View the Gold Key Scholarship Application for the guidelines and application form.
Faxed applications will not be considered. Applications received or postmarked after this published deadline may not be considered.
Please return completed application and all documents by mail, email or in person to:
Kellogg Community College Foundation
450 North Ave.
Roll Building Room 301
Battle Creek, MI 49017-3397