Hensley Transfer Scholarship guidelines and a PDF version of the 2019-20 application will be available in Jan. 2019. Please read through the following carefully prior to completing a scholarship application.
Be on the lookout for the 2019-2020 scholarship application, coming in Jan.
The Virginia M. Hensley Education or Health Care Two-Year Transfer Scholarship recognizes outstanding academic and personal achievement, and is awarded to a graduating Kellogg Community College student transferring to one of the following Michigan Public Colleges or Universities, which offer baccalaureate degrees in Education or Health Care.
- Central Michigan University
- Eastern Michigan University
- Ferris State University
- Grand Valley State University
- Lake Superior State University
- Michigan State University
- Michigan Technological University
- Northern Michigan University
- Oakland University
- University of Michigan
- Wayne State University
- Western Michigan University
The recipient(s) of the Hensley Transfer Scholarship will receive an award equal to the lesser of the annual tuition and fees of the year of the award in question at Western Michigan University or the actual annual tuition and fees for the year of the award in question at the university the recipient elects to attend. This award will be given for two years, provided the student maintains eligibility.
All scholarship applications are given equal consideration by a scholarship committee appointed by the KCC Foundation. The selection committee will review the applicant’s academic records, school, community, and service activities and conduct personal interviews.
Criteria and Guidelines
- Applicant must graduate from Kellogg Community College during the academic year of the application submission, and transfer to a Michigan Public College or University which grants a baccalaureate in Education or a Health Care field and be a full time student.
- 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher.
- Demonstrate leadership experience, community and service activity and school involvement.
- Applicant must provide an acceptance letter from the college to which they will transfer.
- All awards will be sent directly to the baccalaureate degree granting institution.
- Maintain 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher.
- Remain a full-time student Fall and Spring semesters.
- Submit a completed Virginia M. Hensley Education or Health Care Two-Year Transfer Scholarship application by 5 p.m. March 29, 2019. Answer each question to the best of your ability.
- Include a copy of your Student Aid Report, if you completed a FAFSA, or complete the financial information section.
- Include a copy of DD Form 214, if you are a military veteran.
- Submit an essay with at least 150 words, but no more than two pages addressing each of the following:
- Why have you chosen your field of study and what led you to this decision?
- What are your future career goals (the profession or occupation you intend to enter)?
- Describe your leadership experience and what you learned from it.
- Who influenced you the most while attending Kellogg Community College and why?
- Attach a copy of your course history (unofficial KCC transcript).
- Attach a copy of your acceptance letter to the baccalaureate degree-granting institution.
- Attach a résumé of employment history, education, school and community service activities and volunteer experiences.
- Enclose two signed current letters of recommendation from professors, academic advisors, employers, and/or community members.
If any of the above items are not received by the deadline, the application may not be considered.
Click on the Scholarship Packet of Tips & Tools for helpful information in completing the application.
The deadline for the Hensley Transfer Scholarship is 5 p.m. March 29, 2019. Faxed applications will not be considered. Applications received or postmarked after this published deadline may not be considered.
Please return completed application and all documents by mail, email or in person to:
Kellogg Community College Foundation
Roll Building Room 301
450 North Ave.
Battle Creek, MI 49017-3397