Welcome to the Branch County Community Chorus website!
Website — http://bit.ly/branchchorus
BCC Chorus News!
*It’s registration time!
See the “How to Join” section below for the registration process. However in the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please send us an email at Information Request. Click here for press release details: Learn More!
*Branch County Community Chorus will begin the start of its 14th season this coming September 1, 2015.
Welcome back BCCC returning members and welcome to our newest members. I sincerely hope that you enjoyed singing with the choir during the last season and that you are looking forward to the coming year. As you are aware there are many wonderful performance opportunities in stored for us this upcoming season. So, now is the time to tell all of your singing friends about the joys of choral singing and invite them to join us in song during what will certainly be one of our most memorable years. As you know, the choirs will begin the 2015/2016 season with a performance of one of the greatest choral works of the repertoire…Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony! Yes, this will happen on November 14th in the 2,000 seat W.K. Kellogg Auditorium with the Battle Creek Symphony Orchestra. What a way to kickoff our 14th season. Other performances will include our annual Sounds of the Season Christmas concert at St. Mark’s in Coldwater. Looking ahead to the spring our main focus will be on preparations for the spring East Coast concert tour which will include a four day residency at NYC’s Carnegie Hall. Yes, there is much to look forward to. So, get registered, share the news with your friends and family and let’s get ready to make beautiful music this season.
~Dr. Gerald J. Blanchard
Upcoming 2015/2016 Branch County Community Chorus Events Sschedule
August 22- Coldwater Area Farmers Market, downtown Coldwater
September 19- AppleFest 2015, downtown Coldwater
November 14- Beethoven’s Ninth with the Battle Creek Symphony, WK Kellogg Aud., Battle Creek
December 5- Annual Sounds of the Season, St. Mark’s, Coldwater
February 13- VoiceFest 2016, Binda Performing Arts Center, Battle Creek
April 3- Annual Singing in the spring, Binda Performing Arts Center, Battle Creek
April 6-13- East Coast Concert Tour
June 19- Strawberry Fest, downtown Coldwater
About Us! Branch County Community Chorus
Founded in the Fall of 2001 by Deric Craig, the ensemble is a town and gown style organization which produces professional level concert performances. Dr. Gerald Blanchard became the director in 2004, and has continued the tradition of producing high quality choral music. Under his direction, the choir has greatly expanded its
repertoire to include not only the traditional classical repertoire of Bach, Handel, Mozart and others, but to now include jazz, show music, world music, spirituals, opera choruses and much more. During the 2006/07 season, the BCCC instituted its semi-annual choral touring program. Since its inception, the choir has toured both nationally and internationally, presenting concerts in Michigan, Illinois, New York, Massachusetts, Indiana and Ohio. Summer 2012, the choir embarked on its inaugural European concert tour, presenting concerts in Dublin, Cork and Malahide, Ireland. Summer 2014, the choir returned to Europe, presenting concerts in Rome and cities and towns along the Amalfi Coast of Italy. Spring 2016, the choir will sing at NYC’s Carnegie Hall as part of its East Coast concert tour which will include performances in Connecticut and Rhode Island in addition to the New York appearances.
The Chorus membership finds commonality in the dedication to learning and performing history’s best choral offerings. The BCCC has something for all who love the choral arts. We are a community of folks who simply love to sing. Come join in on the fun! Visit the Kellogg Choirs’ blog site: Click here!
If you wish to be connected, please sign up for email notification of our upcoming events by clicking on link. Special Events and Performances
10 Reasons to Join Branch County Community Chorus
- Singing with others while finding your own creative expression.
- Friendship and Fellowship.
- Meeting singers from throughout Branch, Calhoun, Barry and other counties.
- Opportunity to travel throughout the US, Canada and Europe.
- Trying new vocal techniques.
- Learning and performing a variety of choral music
- Food, lots of food with great musical friends
- Experiencing the enthusiasm and energy that erupts when singers gather.
- Singing in a variety of concert venues including large concert halls, churches etc.
- SIMPLY HAVING FUN!!!.
How to Join
There is no “formal” audition, however we do ask that you come to the first rehearsal with an open mind and a willingness to learn. We also ask that you call 269-965-3931 ext. 2566 to schedule a vocal assessment with our director, Dr. Gerald Blanchard.
This assessment may occur in advance of your first rehearsal or immediately following.
In order to be considered for membership with the choir, you must do the following:
- Be accepted by the director for membership.
- Register for membership through Kellogg Community College. If you are in Coldwater area, please contact the Grahl Center campus of KCC for registration information: 517-278-3300. The registration fee is $50 per semester. When registering, please use the registration code: MUSI C104-60. If you maintain an active membership for two consecutive semesters, you may be eligible for a performing arts grant at the end of the Spring season, providing all qualifications are met.
- Be able to read music at a basic level.
- Be able to sing in tune and hold pitch independently.
- Most importantly: Have a love for music.
No prior professional experience or formal musical training is necessary.
Option 1 – You can complete & mail in the attached form (registration form-fillable) with your $50 payment (or provide your credit card info). You can print it & fill it out by hand, or you can fill it out electronically, save it, & then print, sign & mail the completed form to:
Kellogg Community College
450 North Ave.
Battle Creek, MI 49017
If paying by check, make the check out to KCC in the amount of $50.00.
Option 2 – Register & pay online if you have a KCC username & password. Start at this website: https://klive.kellogg.edu/student/Pages/default.aspx
Branch County Community Chorus Guiding Principles
- Performance of a wide variety of choral repertoire
- Build public interest in the choral arts
- Create new opportunities for performance by community members
- Inspire, Motivate and Celebrate musical fellowship among singers
- Provide performance opportunities both domestic and international
Rehearsal location: St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, 27 E. Chicago, Coldwater, MI
Rehearsal Time: 6:30 – 9:00 p.m. every Tuesday (Sept. thru May)
The chorus accepts new singers, normally at the start of preparations for a new concert series. If you are interested in joining, please call the director Dr. Gerald J. Blanchard 269-965-3931 ext. 2566 to learn more about the Chorus and to schedule a vocal placement interview.
Any singer willing to commit to a weekly rehearsal schedule and is willing to learn is welcome to join.
Please sign in on your section attendance sheet at each rehearsal (Kellogg Community College students please sign in at the end of rehearsal). Please call 269-965-3931 ext. 2566 or email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you know that you will miss a rehearsal. Missing more than 5 rehearsals will require the Director’s permission to continue. If you often need to arrive late or leave early, please discuss your situation with the director in advance.
Need to Know Information
- Rehearsals start at 6:30 p.m. sharp. Please arrive on time, with your score and pencil ready.
- We only have a short time to prepare for our concerts, therefore there is limited talking during rehearsal. A 10 min. break will be given for the opportunity for you to fellowship. Also remember, 6:00 p.m.-6:30p.m. is a social period.
- We have a 5 minute vocal warm-up, and a 10 minute break. Members are provided with practice mp3 or web links to aid in musical preparations. You may access these items by logging onto our Facebook site Facebook Site — you are expected to practice outside of rehearsals to learn your parts.
If you cannot attend a rehearsal, please call 269-965-3931 ext. 2566, or send us an email at email@example.com.
Dr. Gerald Blanchard, Artistic Director
Nancy Brown, Principal Accompanist
Martha Watson, Communications Specialist
Lucinda Wakeman, Uniform Coordinator
Music Librarian: Charles Rhames, student worker
Music Advisory Board Members: Sam Ellis Greenburg, Anastasia Miller, Martha Watson, Lucinda Wakeman, and Cynthia Garn