In a similar fashion to our Law Enforcement In-Service training, KCC offers Corrections In-Service Training on an as-needed basis. If you are in need of some training, please call us at 269-965-3931 ext. 2216 or email email@example.com.
Prior Corrections In-Service Training
Jail Suicide Assessment, Prevention and Postvention
This course examines the problem of jail suicides and presents the latest information on how to best assess and screen an inmate for suicide risk. Suicide prevention plans and effective crisis communication techniques are presented for dealing with an inmate who is suicidal. This training includes discussion, group exercises and powerful video scenario vignettes.
Topics in this four-hour seminar include:
- Constitutional law pertaining to inmates
- Pretrial detainee rights
- 42 USC 1983 related topics (Fourth and Eighth Amendment issues)
- Excessive force
- Deliberate indifference to medical needs
- Restraint and positional asphyxiation
- Handcuffing, tasers and chemical sprays
- PLRA (Prison Litigation Reform Act)
- State law claims – new developments
- Employment updates
Absconder Unit Training
This two-week training includes:
- Basic Investigator Training: Twenty-four hours of training designed to train police officers or corrections officers assigned to special details on the fundamental principles of investigatory practices. Teaching methods utilized include lecture, PowerPoint and group participation.
- Basic Surveillance Training: Sixteen hours of training designed to train officers in the fundamental principles of effective surveillance techniques. Officers will be instructed in the areas of physical surveillance, electronic surveillance, radio usage, pre-surveillance planning and surveillance operations. Teaching methods utilized include lecture, PowerPoint and practical hands-on training.
- Tactical Driving: The course objective is to familiarize the student with laws and liabilities associated with driving in today’s society. It will also expose the student to the limitations of night vision, incremental weather conditions, turning, braking and traction. After demonstrating proper driving techniques, the student will participate in several cone-course exercises.
- Tactical Building Clearing: The course objective is to expose the student to proper building clearing techniques that will ensure the safety of the student and those with whom they are coming into contact with. The student will understand proper team movements when dealing with large rooms, hallways, stairwells, doorways and vehicles.