Criminal Justice FAQ

Q. What is the difference between a Criminal Justice Degree and a Law Enforcement Degree?

A. The Criminal Justice degree is designed to help you prepare for a career in criminal justice that requires a minimum of a four-year college degree and is transferrable to many four-year college and universities. The Law Enforcement degree include the police academy and prepares students for a career as a Law Enforcement Officer.

Q. Are there age, gender, or physical limitations that may prevent me from entering a career in criminal Justice?

A. Employers are more concerned about the abilities of the applicant, rather than their genetic makeup.  Although some agencies have set an age range to apply, many do not set an age cutoff. Physical limitations may affect your ability to work for a particular agency.  It is encouraged that you research the agency in which you seek employment with to ensure that you meet their hiring requirements.

Q. Can I be granted college credit for prior criminal justice or military training?

A. Prior training or military experience may be applied to your transcript on a case-by-case review process. Please contact the Criminal Justice Director for more information.

Q. What type of college degree do I need to obtain employment with the federal government?

A. The federal government, as a general rule, requires applicants to have obtained at least a Bachelor’s Degree to be considered for employment. The Associate in Criminal Justice Degree is transferable to many four-year colleges and universities towards completion of a Bachelor’s degree.

Q. Can I participate in an internship while pursuing a degree in criminal justice at KCC?

A. Yes. Our CRJU 210 and CRJU 211 are Criminal Justice Practicum internships.  Please contact the criminal justice director for more information.