Meet with A KCC Academic Advisor
Schedule an appointment with an advisor by calling Academic Advising at 269.965.4124. Discuss your intended major, including associate degree requirements, general education, and transferability of courses.
- Be sure you take KCC courses that will transfer. Use our Transfer Guide
- You can also verify transferability of courses by using the Michigan Transfer Network or by looking for Course Equivalencies directly on the four-your institution websites.
- If undecided about a major, students can stop in Academic Advising for a free token to eDiscover, an online career exploration and planning program
Evaluate Colleges and Decide Early
Investigate entrance and degree requirements for four-year institutions.
- Visit the KCC Academic Advising office to review four-year institution transfer guides.
- Ask about the MACRAO Transfer Agreement
- Visit with representatives of four-year transfer institutions when they come to KCC.
- Attend the KCC Transfer Fair, scheduled for Monday, November 7, 10:30am-12:30pm in the Student Center located at the Battle Creek campus.
Seek Advising at your intended transfer institution
Contact the academic department at the institution you plan to transfer to and ask to speak with an advisor who is specialized in the field you plan to major in.
- Note the name of the advisor you spoke with. Keep accurate records of your discussions (who, what, when) and make copies of everything you send.
- If you communicate with an advisor via e-mail, be sure to keep all your messages in a folder for future reference.
- Review application procedures and deadlines for admission and financial aid.
Visit Transfer institution
Call the transfer institution's admissions office and schedule a visit.
- Request a meeting with a student and/or advisor in your major area and a campus tour. Do this as early in your academic career at KCC as possible.
Determine deadlines for financial aid, including scholarships and transfer funding, as well as any necessary housing applications.
- Complete your applications for admission and financial aid – be sure to meet deadlines.
- Send necessary documents including transcripts from KCC and all other colleges attended, high school transcripts, ACT scores and other scores as required. (Keep copies for your file.)
- After completion of your courses at KCC, request to have a final copy of your KCC transcript sent to the transfer institution. Find out how to Request Transcripts.
- Verify that your transfer institution received a complete file.
For those who are undecided about a specific degree or certificate program, there are many KCC resources available. A look at our academic programs might trigger interest in a specific field. A conversation with an academic advisor or a career counselor may assist in suggesting areas of interest or aptitude.