A resident of the College district is defined as a citizen of the United States whose legal residence has been established within a Michigan city/township and corresponding school district listed below.
A nonresident of the College district is defined as a citizen of the United States whose legal residence has been established within the state of Michigan, but not within the College district.
An out-of-state resident is defined as a citizen of the United States whose legal residence has been established outside the state of Michigan. Residents of the state of Indiana are exceptions and shall be eligible for a tuition rate of $1 per credit hour above the rate established for nonresidents.
An international resident is a noncitizen of the United States. If you are an alien who holds a valid Alien Registration Receipt Card (Permanent Resident Card), political asylum, or an H1, H4, E’ or L’ visa and have documented this with the College, you are eligible for classification according to the definitions of residency stated above. You should be prepared to document your alien status at the time of registration.
If you are a longstanding area resident who graduated from a high school in the College district and document your residence for the period of at least one year immediately prior to the first day of the semester, you may be eligible for classification according to the definition of residency as stated above.
Choice and Accountability Act Policy
Any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI bill-Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill), of title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. 3311(b) who lives in the State of Michigan while attending Kellogg Community College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) shall be charged in-state tuition rates.
Your residency status is based on the taxing district in which you live, and the tuition you pay is based on your residency status. Residency is established at the end of the first week of the fall and spring semesters and on June 15 for the summer semester. Your residency status as of that date remains in effect for that semester. Changes in your residency status made after this timeline will affect your tuition rate for the upcoming semester.
Acceptable documentation for establishing and proving your residency is as follows:
- Valid driver’s license
- Michigan ID card
- Voter registration card
- Lease agreement showing your name as an occupant
- Business mail received in your name at the stated address
You should be prepared to prove your legal residence at each registration.
Your residency must be established before you can access secure areas within the Kellogg Registration Information System (KRIS).
A change in address may be made at any registration site.
A change in residency requires documentation as shown above and may be made at any registration site.
When residency discrepancies are found your residency status will be flagged and your tuition rate will automatically be adjusted.
Contact the Registrar’s office at 269-965-5522 for questions regarding residency.
City/Township – School District
Geographical areas within Barry County
- Assyria Township – Pennfield
- Johnstown Township – Pennfield
Geographical areas within Branch County
- Batavia Township – Union City
- Butler Township – Homer, Tekonsha
- Girard Township – Tekonsha, Union City
- Matteson Township – Union City
- Sherwood Township – Athens, Union City
- Union Township – Union City
Geographical areas within Calhoun County
- City of Albion – Albion
- City of Battle Creek – Battle Creek, Lakeview, Pennfield, Harper Creek
- City of Marshall – Marshall
- City of Springfield – Battle Creek
- Albion Township – Albion, Homer
- Athens Township – Athens, Union City
- Bedford Township – Battle Creek, Pennfield
- Burlington Township – Athens, Tekonsha, Union City
- Clarence Township – Mar-Lee
- Clarendon Township – Homer, Tekonsha
- Convis Township – Marshall, Pennfield
- Eckford Township – Albion, Homer, Mar-Lee, Marshall
- Emmett Township – Battle Creek, Harper Creek
- Fredonia Township – Harper Creek, Homer, Marshall, Tekonsha, Union City
- Homer Township – Homer
- Lee Township – Marshall, Mar-Lee
- Leroy Township – Athens, Harper Creek
- Marengo Township – Albion, Marshall, Mar-Lee
- Marshall Township – Harper Creek, Marshall
- Newton Township – Harper Creek, Marshall, Union City
- Pennfield Township – Battle Creek, Harper Creek, Pennfield
- Sheriden Township – Albion, Mar-Lee
- Tekonsha Township – Homer, Tekonsha, Union City
Geographical areas within Hillsdale County
- Litchfield Township – Homer
Geographical areas within Kalamazoo County
- Wakeshma Township – Athens
Geographical areas within St. Joseph County
- Leonidas Township – Athens