is designed to prepare a competent, entry level dental hygienist within two years as a full time student. Because of space restrictions, (we can only admit 20 students each fall) enrollment is selective; that is, we select the top twenty applicants each fall to enter our program. We do not have a waiting list but, we do use an alternate list. If one of the twenty applicants cannot or chooses not to enter our program, then we invite applicants from our alternate list to enroll. Although personal interviews are not required, many applicants like to arrange for a visit to see our facility. Please contact the Admissions office or the director of our program, Jamie Beale, at extension 2301, if you would like to arrange a visit. Applicants are strongly encouraged to set up an appointment and meet with a KCC academic advisor to ensure all dental hygiene program requirements and KCC graduation requirements will be met. Advisors can also help a student develop a course sequence schedule to enhance their chances of securing a position in the dental hygiene program. Contact Academic Advising for an appointment (269) 965-4124.
There are no prerequisite courses...
needed at this time to apply to our program. Our program is designed so that a newly graduated high school student may apply to the program.
Admissions Criteria for the dental hygiene program:
Admission to an Allied Health Program is competitive based on points awarded for grades or scores on various courses or tests. The following common factors are considered in determining which candidates will be admitted to all Allied Health programs:
- High School grade point average or GED scores (if less than 12 college credits completed)
- College grade point average (if more than 12 college credits completed)
- ACT or SAT score, or a documented degree from an accredited post-secondary institution (waived if there is proof of degree completion from an accredited post-secondary institution)
- Specific college courses with a "C" (2.0) or better (not required for admission, but considered):
- Biology 201 (Human Anatomy)
- Biology 202 (Human Physiology)
- English 151 or English 152 (Freshman Composition I or II)
- Psychology 201 (Introduction to Psychology)
- Sociology 201 (Introduction to Sociology)
Additional program Specific requirements:
The following factors are required for admission to the Dental Hygiene program: prerequisite requirements for Chemistry 100 (Fundamentals of Chemistry 1) must be met prior to applying to the Dental Hygiene program. Applicants who have obtained a degree will need to show proof of meeting the prerequisite requirements for Chemistry 100 as described in the KCC catalog per the academic year to which the student is applying. In addition to the Common factors, these courses are not required for admission, but will be weighed in determining which applicants will be admitted to the Dental Hygiene program:
Specific college courses with a "C" (2.0) or better
- Biology 205 (Microbiology)
- Chemistry 100 or 110 (Fundamentals of Chemistry I or General Chemistry II)
- Communications 101 (Foundations of Interpersonal Communication)