Partner with KCC to develop and deliver training to build the capacity of your organization! The Skilled Trades Training Fund program provides competitive awards through Michigan Works! Agencies and in cooperation with local partners to fund employer-driven training in high-demand occupations. Participating businesses must commit to hire participants at the successful completion of classroom training, or in cases of on-the-job or incumbent worker training, retain the employees at the completion of training.
STTF funds can be used on the following:
- On-the-Job training – Receive reimbursement for wages paid while training a new employee or an existing employee on a new process.
- Customized training – Let Workforce Solutions design a training program to increase your company’s performance.
- Classroom training – Increase your company’s capacity by letting Workforce Solutions provide training to existing and potential new employees.
- Apprenticeship – Receive monies for apprenticeship programs.
For more information on STTF, please see the State of Michigan Workforce Development Agency Website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the proposal submission deadlines for the STTF program?
A: Proposals may be submitted throughout the year until funding is depleted.
Q: How will I be notified about the status of my application?
A: The Michigan Strategic Fund (MSF)/Workforce Development Agency (WDA), which administers the STTF, will keep Michigan Works! Agencies (MWAs) informed of the status of their proposals within three working days from the date of receipt.
Q: How are eligible employers identified?
A: Any of the following partners have the ability to identify eligible employers who have a documented need for talent:
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation
- Local Economic Developers
- Michigan Community Colleges and other training providers
Q: What is an eligible industry or occupation?
A: Demand industries and occupations of regional importance, as identified by the key partners. Currently, there is a growing need statewide to fill positions in Manufacturing, Health Care, Agriculture, Informational Technology and Energy.
Q: What are allowable training expenditures?
A: Allowable training expenditures include the actual costs of classroom training, wage reimbursement for On-the-Job Training (OJT), and any other reasonable cost required for the successful completion of training.
Q: What are the criteria that will be reviewed to determine awards?
A: Criteria that will be reviewed:
- Jobs created
- Jobs retained
- Amount of leveraged funds
- Documented training need
- Credentials earned
- Training will start four to six weeks from date of application
- Amount of MWA supporting funds, i.e., WIA, Trade, etc.
- Cost per participant
Q: What is an appropriate length of training?
A: With the exception of registered apprenticeships, training should be accelerated. Three month or less training duration is preferred.
For more information on STTF, please contact Paul Aivars, at 269-565-2828.