Frequently Asked Questions
How do I register for a class?
- Online by clicking the HERE. If you have registered in the past, but are unsure of your username and/or password, you can see directions HERE.
- Phone 269-965-4134. You can register over the phone using your Visa/Master Card/Discover/American Express. Registration by phone hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. There are times when we experience a high volume of calls, if you reach our voicemail system, please leave your name and a phone number where you can be reached during registration hours and we will return your call.
- Fax your completed Lifelong Learning registration form (PDF) with credit card information to 269-565-2129, 24 hours a day.
- Mail your completed registration form, with check, money order or credit card information to, Lifelong Learning, Kellogg Community College, 450 North Ave, Battle Creek, MI 49017.
- In-Person by visiting the Lifelong Learning Office. We are located at KCC’s North Avenue (Main) Campus, 450 North Avenue, Battle Creek, MI in the Lane-Thomas Building, Room 305. Our office hours are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Friday.
When do I need to register for the class?
Register early for a full selection of courses. Some classes fill quickly, so don’t wait to register as the class you want to take may fill. Enrollments are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis; however, we will add you to our waiting list if the class is full.
How do you determine if a class is canceled?
The decision to cancel a class is not a pleasant one. Each term we cancel courses because of low enrollment, only to find out the day of the course that several of you intended to come. If a class is canceled, we will attempt to contact you via phone. Please ensure that KCC has your current and preferred phone number (home or cell).
How do I get a refund?
If requested at least two working days prior to the start date, a full refund is given for any dropped course, seminar or workshop. A partial refund is given for any course dropped through 1/10 of the total number of instructional hours. At this time, a $5 processing fee is nonrefundable. All requests for refunds should be directed to Lifelong Learning at 269-965-4134.
Where do the classes meet?
The majority of classes meet at the North Avenue (Main) Campus of Kellogg Community College. The site is located at 450 North Avenue, Battle Creek, MI. A majority of the classes are held in the Lane-Thomas and Ohm Buildings. Please refer to the Lifelong Learning schedule to ensure the class meeting location. You may view a map at www.kellogg.edu/about/maps.
Is there an inclement weather policy?
Please listen to a local radio or television station for class cancellations. If a class is canceled, we will do our best to reschedule the class at a time convenient to the instructor and the majority of students.
Who is a Lifelong Learning student?
Our classes are designed for students who are 16 years of age or older, except youth programming. Our students sign up for classes because they want to combine learning with having fun, doing something new, and because they want to meet people with similar interests. Many of our students are new to the Battle Creek area and are looking to make contacts. Teaching with Lifelong Learning is a fabulous networking opportunity.
Who can teach?
Lifelong Learning does not require its instructors to have teaching degrees or certification. Adults who have skills or knowledge they would like to share are invited to submit a course proposal. All proposals are reviewed and if selected, the potential instructor is called for an interview with the Director of the department. Instructors are most often independent contractors, although some are part-time employees of Kellogg Community College. All instructors are responsible for developing their own courses and materials. Those interested in teaching should submit an LLL Course Proposal Packet (PDF).