- Successfully complete a local corrections officers trainig academy as approved by the MSCTC.
- Graduate from an associate or baccalaureate degree program which includes a pre-service academy at an accredited community college, college, or university.
- Meet the minimum hiring standards as set forth by the local Correctional Officer Training Council. Requirements vary from county to county, but will generally include being at least 18 years of age, a US citizen, possessing a high school diploma or GED, passing a comprehensive background investigation, and passing a physical exam with a drug screen.
The pre-service elegibility is valid for two (2) years from the date of graduation from a pre-service academy or awarding of an associate or
baccalaureate degree from an accredited community college, college, or university.
If the applicant has not obtained a conditional offer of employment after two (2) years, the applicant may remain eligible for certification by completing the 96 hours of core training or by taking a competency test.
The pre-service academy is a 10 credit hour course -CRJU 111- and regular tuition rates apply. Please check the current schedule for class dates and times. The recommended course of study for pre-service candidates is the Associate of Applied Science in Corrections.
Michigan Sheriff's Corrections Training Council
Upcoming EMPCO Reading/Writing Test:
Thursday, Decembr 5, 2013 at 9:00 am
The Reading/Writing test is held in the Ohm Inforamation Technology Center, Room 01
on the Battle Creek Campus, 450 North Avenue, Battle Creek, MI 49017.
To register for the test.
1. Go to www.empco.net
2. Click on the gray Sheriffs' Offices Positions link
3. Click on Michigan
4. Click the blue Register for Local Corrections Officer Tests link at the bottom of the page.
5. Complete the registration form. You will then be directed to choose a test date.
NOTE: You MUST register for the test prior to the testing time. Walk-ins will not be allowed to test.
Upcoming Physical Fitness Test Dates:
Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 11:00 am
The Physical Fitness is held in the Miller Gym, Room 210 on the Battle Creek Campus
(located at the corner of North Avenue and Roosevelt across the street from Burger King)
Please wear appropriate clothing and athletic shoes.
|MI SOS Driving Record Request|