English Language Learning (ELL) classes at Kellogg Community College offer an opportunity for those who speak languages other than English to enhance their English language skills. ELL students will build a strong foundation in the English language that will prepare them not only for future coursework at KCC, but for university curriculum.
English Language Learning Classes
Beginning with the Spring 2019 semester, KCC will offer introductory ELL classes in addition to its intermediate and advanced ELL classes in reading/writing, listening/speaking and grammar/communication.
Spring 2019 ELL classes include:
- ELL 73 Introductory Reading and Writing
- ELL 74 Introductory Grammar and Communication
- ELL 75 Introductory Speaking and Listening
- ELL 83 Intermediate Reading and Writing
- ELL 84 Intermediate Grammar and Communication
- ELL 85 Intermediate Speaking and Listening
- ELL 93 Advanced Reading and Writing
- ELL 94 Advanced Grammar and Communication
- ELL 95 Advanced Speaking and Listening
Each class is worth four credit hours and will meet four days each week for one hour during the fall semester.
Signing Up for ELL Classes
Students interested in signing up for ELL classes should complete the following steps:
- Apply for admission to KCC. This can be done online at www.kellogg.edu/step1. If you need assistance, contact KCC’s Admissions office at 269-965-4153 or email@example.com or visit us in the Hub on campus at 450 North Ave. in Battle Creek.
- Take the Accuplacer ESL exam. The results of the Accuplacer ESL exam will determine the level of coursework the individual student should enroll in. It is common for students to test at different levels depending on the subject. For example, a student might test into speaking/listening at an advanced level, yet they may test into reading/writing and grammar/communication at an intermediate level. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact KCC’s Testing & Assessment Center at 269-965-4136 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-in testing is available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and by appointment Fridays, and a government- or school-issued photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, passport, high school, college or military ID) is required to test. For more information, visit www.kellogg.edu/placement.
Scholarship opportunities may be available for students who need financial assistance. For information about student scholarships, contact the KCC Foundation at 269-965-4161 or visit www.kellogg.edu/student-scholarships.