COVID-19 HR Practices and Forms During Temporary Closure
Due to the current COVID-19 virus, President Bennings has announced the closure of Kellogg Community College’s campuses from noon, March 18, 2020 to 8:00 am April 6, 2020.
As we strive to address this health emergency, we still want to provide the best possible service to students and our community. At the same time, our employees’ health and well being remains a key priority. Please visit the KCC Coronovirus Update page regularly for the latest information.
COVID-19 FAQs upated March 18, 2020. This provides information on pay, leave, benefits and other items specific to employees during the current closure.
COVID-19 Work at Home Guide, updated March 13, 2020. This is for those employees who are performing essential work at home. The guide provides information to help make working from home a successful experience.
BCBSM is promoting online care visits and telemedicine during the COVID-19 pandemic. The College health plans for Administration, Faculty, Support and Maintenance all offer this coverage.
Here’s how to get started:
- Mobile – Download the BCBSM Online Visits app
- Web – Visit bcbsmonlinevisits.com
- Phone – Call 1-844-606-1608
Add your Blue Cross health care plan information now to have it ready.
Medical online visits are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on demand or by appointment. You can use it to treat minor illnesses such as colds and respiratory infections when your primary care doctor isn’t available. You also can use behavioral health visits to speak with a therapist or psychiatrist to address challenges you’re facing such as grief, anxiety and depression. Therapy and psychiatry are available by appointment.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan has increased coverages during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Below are updated benefits:
- All diagnostic laboratory tests for COVID-19 when used in accordance with CDC testing recommendations will be fully covered by Blue Cross at no cost to the member.
- To ensure patients receive the right care at the right locations, Blue Cross will be waiving prior authorization processes for covered services related to COVID-19 — unless prior authorization is required to assure the availability of the treatment for persons in need consistent with CDC recommendations.
- Access to prescription medications will be expanded to ensure patients do not experience shortages or difficulties filling their prescriptions. Early medication refill limits on 30-day prescription maintenance medications will be waived (consistent with a member’s benefit plan). Any additional charges that may stem from obtaining a non-preferred medication for COVID-19 treatment will not be billed to the patient.
- In anticipation of high demand at health care provider offices, Blue Cross will be expanding access to telemedicine and nurse/provider hotlines.
- HelpNet Stay Calm Avoid Fear – COVID-19
- HelpNet Webinar – Keep Calm and Carry On – Coronavirus
- HelpNet What You Need to Know About Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- HelpNet Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks
TIAA Market Volatility Webinar
Spring Break and Summer Hours
Spring Break hours will be in place April 6-9, 2020
- The College will close each day at 4:30
- The College is closed April 10th for Spring Holiday
The College will close at noon on Fridays – May 15, 22, and 29 and August 7, 14, and 21, 2020
- Full-time employees who normally work Monday through Friday 8:00-5:00, will work Monday through Thursday 8:00-5:00 and Friday 8:00-12:00.
- Those who work part-time or other than a standard 8:00-5:00 schedule, should work with their supervisor and adjust their schedule to ensure that they are working 90% of their regular hours.
- The Regional Centers are closed on Fridays beginning May 15, 2020 through August 21, 2020.
The College will be closed Fridays during the months of June and July.
The College will be closed June 5, 12, 19, 26 and July 3, 10, 17, 24, and 31.
- Support personnel will receive two floating holidays in their 2020-2021 leave bank to account for the College closure on a recognized holiday (July 3, 2020).
- Full-time employees will work 8.5 hours per day Monday through Thursday. Employees will work with their supervisor to determine whether the additional 30 minutes each day is added to the beginning or end of the day or subtracted from their lunch hour.
- Those who work part-time or other than a standard 8:00-5:00 schedule, should work with their supervisor and adjust their schedule to ensure that they are working 85% of their regular hours.
Please remember, no employees or students should be on campus when the campus is closed!
2020 Federal Form W-4
The IRS has redesigned the W-4, making it different than any W-4 form you’ve completed to date. In general:
- As an existing employee, you are NOT required to complete a new form. However, if you change your withholdings after January 1, 2020, you will be required to use the new form.
- Withholding allowances/exemptions will not be used with the new form.
- The final form was just released December 5, 2019
- IRS 2020 Form W-4
- IRS 2020 Form W-4
- There are many resources for you to reference should you have questions.
- IRS 2020 Form W-4 FAQs
- IRS Paycheck Checkup
- IRS 2019 Tax Withholding Estimator
- IRS 2020 Form W-4 FAQs
As always, please contact HR should you have any questions, but keep in mind that our staff cannot provide tax advice. Please consult your personal tax adviser to plan and assess your situation.
Please be aware that our flexibility to alter access to electronic timekeeping beyond due dates and times is limited. To avoid complications, please follow the timekeeping schedule of deadlines: http://www.kellogg.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Webtime-2019-2020-Timecard-Schedule.pdf.
Should you have questions, please contact Human Resources for assistance at email@example.com or 269-965-4152.
Thank you for your partnership!