Disability FAQ

Do I have to disclose my disability to anyone at KCC?

You are not required to disclose your disability to the College. However, if you want to receive academic accommodations and/or auxiliary aids you must identify yourself to Support Services and provide documentation of your disability. Accommodations do not apply retroactively and grades will not be changed for work completed before eligibility for accommodations was established.

Do standards of appropriate behavior apply to students with disabilities?

Yes, all students are expected to abide by KCC’s Student Code of Conduct. The ADA does not require the College to accept threatening or disruptive behavior from college students, even if the disability itself may be indirectly responsible.

Is the process different from high school?

Yes. The laws that apply to K-12 schools are different than those applicable to post-secondary institutions. K-12 schools must identify and provide remediation to students with disabilities. Post-secondary schools are only required to provide equal access. Accommodations may also be different at the college level. In general, the burden of responsibility shifts from the K-12 school to the individual college student. College students must contact Support Services, prove eligibility and make their needs known. For more information about differences between the K-12 and college processes, please visit the For High School Staff section of our website.

Is there a charge for disability services?

Students are not charged for academic accommodations necessary because of a disability. However, if you receive accommodations such as an alternative textbook format, you will be responsible for the purchase of the book, like other students in the course. Occasionally, our office also helps students purchase assistive equipment or set up accommodations individually, at their cost, through a third-party service provider.

Does KCC provide attendant care or transportation?

No. Students are responsible for self-care and transportation. Post-secondary institutions are not required to provide personal and individually prescribed devices or services of a personal nature.

When should I submit my documentation?

The sooner, the better, as documentation may need review, clarification or additional information. Students are encouraged to initiate the process as early as possible after they are admitted to KCC.

Is it ever too late to request accommodations?

A student may begin the documentation process to request accommodations at any time. However, as stated previously, accommodations will not be provided retroactively and grades will not be changed after a student is approved for accommodations. Students will have to abide by certain timelines depending on the type of accommodation needed. Not all accommodations can be implemented immediately.

I received different or more accommodations at my last school. Why is there a difference?

High schools often offer services and accommodations meant to help ensure a student’s success. At college, the governing laws simply require that an institution not discriminate against a student with a disability and provide access to curriculum.

Services may also differ between colleges. Different colleges have different philosophies on accommodations. If you have been denied an accommodation you received at a previous school, possible reasons could include:

  • Documentation does not meet the college’s guidelines
  • The accommodation is in conflict with the academic policies of the college or school
  • The accommodation would fundamentally alter the program, course or activity
  • Documentation does not support the requested accommodation
  • The accommodation would pose a direct threat to the student or others
  • The accommodation would constitute an undue financial or administrative burden to the college

Do I have to use all of my accommodations in every class?

No, not all accommodations are necessary or appropriate in every class. If you choose not to use an accommodation in a particular class, you will not be given the chance to make up the work with accommodations at a later date. Each semester, you must ask Support Services (or, in some cases, your instructor) that accommodations be provided for each class where you desire to receive them. They will not be provided automatically.

Can I request an accommodation directly from my instructor, without first meeting with Support Services?

No. All accommodations must first be approved by Support Services. Individual instructors have no obligation to accommodate you until you are approved by our office. Once you are approved, either the instructor or Support Services can provide the actual accommodations.

Who informs my instructors about my accommodations?

At the beginning of every semester, or any time you have a change in your approved accommodations, Support Services sends an Instructor Notification Letter to each of your instructors. You also get copies of these letters, which state what your accommodations are but do not disclose your diagnosis or name your disability. While you are still required to contact Support Services if you wish to receive accommodations through our office, you can also talk to your instructor for simple accommodations approved by Support Services that may be able to be provided directly by the faculty member (such as extended time on tests, etc.).

What if an instructor refuses to provide an accommodation listed in my Instructor Notification Letter?

Contact Support Services as soon as possible to resolve the situation. Avoid arguing with the instructor.

Contact Support Services

Telephone: 269-965-4150
Email: supportservices@kellogg.edu