Tutoring is individualized assistance from a qualified peer or professional who obtained a level of competency in the subject area.
When do I need tutoring?
- Discuss course concerns with your instructor
- After following suggestions, request a tutor if you still need help
- If your instructor recommends tutoring – request a tutor
What is the tutoring policy?
- You must be a KCC student
- You must be currently enrolled in the class you are requesting tutoring for
- You have met course prerequisites
- You have attended class regularly
- You have talked with your instructor (to provide the best assistance, we may also contact your instructor)
- Weekly tutoring hours may not exceed total credit hours of the course
- If you miss two tutoring sessions without prior notification, your tutoring will be canceled
- Behavior problems may result in termination of tutoring services
- All tutoring MUST take place in a public setting
- We will do our best to accommodate all requests. It is important to note that not all tutoring is done one-on-one. You may also be in a session with more than one student in the same course.
Free tutoring is also available at The Bridge!
The open lab schedule is a one page overview which includes schedules for peer tutoring, study tables and open tutoring hours at The Bridge. Please note, schedules are subject to change.
- Attend class regularly
- Work individually with your instructor during office hours
- Do all course homework prior to class
- Take good notes during lectures, visit The Bridge for assistance with note taking and study skills
- Tape record lectures (per instructor permission)
- Form a study group with others in your class
- Practice effective time management. The Academic Success Guide is available to assist with goal setting, organizing, budgeting and scheduling.
- Use resources available to you, such as classmates, coworkers, family and friends. KCC provides several options for students, including the Learning Resource Center, The Bridge, and Support Services.
- Get comfortable with technology
- Time management and research are a big part of student life, and understanding how to properly use technology will create much better use of your time
- KCC offers free academic workshops to help you brush up on computer basics. Feel free to attend as many of these workshops as you’d like.
Phone: 269-965-3931 ext. 2392