Kellogg Community College is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, which can be reached at:
230 S. LaSalle St., Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL, 60604
What Is Accreditation?
Accreditation is an external review process assuring colleges, universities and education programs meet rigorous standards for quality assurance and improvement. Through institutional self-evaluation, peer review and institutional response, accreditation evaluates formal educational activities as well as institutional operations essential to the effectiveness of a college.
Kellogg Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), a regional accreditor covering 19 states in the north central region of the United States. KCC has been fully accredited since 1972, with its most recent reaffirmation in 2012. In October 2021, an HLC peer review team will conduct an onsite visit as part of KCC’s latest reaffirmation.
Why Is It Important?
Accreditation assures that KCC meets the highest national educational standards, and:
- Affirms that KCC is providing quality educational experiences for KCC students.
- Allows KCC students to receive federal financial aid.
- Aids in meeting licensure and employment requirements.
- Aids in credit transfer to other institutions.
- Provides valuable feedback on how well KCC is meeting its goals for student learning.
- Creates an opportunity for KCC to assess, evaluate and improve its programs and services.
HLC evaluates colleges and universities for education quality against a set of five quality criteria:
- Integrity: Ethical and Responsible Conduct
- Teaching and Learning: Quality, Resources and Support
- Teaching and Learning: Evaluation and Improvement
- Institutional Effectiveness, Resources and Planning
Accreditation Reaffirmation Timeline
KCC’s HLC Reaffirmation process is under way. An HLC Multi-Location visit on Nov. 4, 2019, commended operations at the Grahl Center and Branch Area Careers Center. KCC self-study teams have already competed multiple evaluation reports, which are available for public review on the KCC Share Drive at M: \KCC Share\2021 HLC Comprehensive Assurance Report. The onsite Peer Review visit will take place Oct. 18 and 19, 2021.
Accreditation Reaffirmation Process
HLC reaffirmation occurs on a 10-year cycle. KCC is following an Open Pathway model, which separates the process into three components: (1) a Quality Initiative; (2) a Comprehensive Evaluation and Assurance Review; and (3) a Peer Review visit, report and recommendations.
KCC’s Accreditation Focus
ENGAGEMENT: Soliciting broad participation from diverse constituencies in gathering evidence for our comprehensive review, analyzing institutional performance and reviewing conclusions and recommendations.
TRANSPARENCY: Keeping all stakeholders fully informed regarding accreditation processes and activities.
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT: Recognizing programs and practices that contribute to KCC’s overall success, and identifying others that can be created or further developed in support of KCC’s teaching and service mission.
REAFFIRMATION: Achieving continued accreditation by meeting all HLC Criteria and Federal compliance requirements.
As members of the KCC community, your involvement in KCC’s reaffirmation is essential. KCC’s HLC Accreditation Steering Committee asks you to:
- STAY INFORMED: Through the accreditation website and updates from the HLC Reaffirmation Steering Committee.
- CONTRIBUTE: By providing comments, suggestions and feedback to the HLC Reaffirmation Steering Committee at email@example.com.
- PREPARE FOR THE SITE VISIT: Further details and information will follow.
HLC Steering Committee
Dr. Martha Perkins (co-chair), Dr. Paul Watson (co-chair), Dr. Michele Reid, Eric Greene, Karel Asbury, Marcia Campbell
- CRITERION 1: Dr. Kay Keck, Ron Smith
- CRITERION 2: Dr. Deb Buck, Terah Zaremba
- CRITERION 3: Kassie Dunham, Tim Krueger
- CRITERION 4: Tonya Forbes, Matt Samra
- CRITERION 5: Vicki Rivera, Dr. Joe Vitanza
To contact the HLC Steering Committee, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Documents & Resources
- For more information about KCC, check out our KCC at a Glance one-sheet.
- View KCC’s Institutional Self-Study reports.
- View materials related to KCC’s 2021 Reaffirmation Process.
- View the latest KCC Assurance Argument. Feedback can be sent by March 26 to email@example.com.
- View our What Is Accreditation? flyer.