In accordance with updated State of Michigan and public health guidance, employees, students and campus guests are required to wear a cloth or disposable face mask inside all KCC facilities until further notice. Face masks should meet CDC guidelines for type and fit. Individuals may remove their masks if they are working alone in an office space, dining, or behind protective barriers.
In rare circumstances, KCC may grant a face mask modification for in-person coursework. This includes a student who has a health condition for whom a face covering would pose a danger.
If you are seeking a modification, follow these steps to initiate the process:
- Provide documentation to the Center for Student Success. To do this, print this Doctor Letter and provide it to the appropriate health professional in order to assist in obtaining a modification.
- Documentation must be submitted within the first week of the start date of the course to be considered.
- At the time of your documentation submission, schedule a phone consultation with a Center for Student Success staff member. Email email@example.com or call 269-965-4150 to schedule.
- Center for Student Success staff will evaluate the request, utilizing the documentation provided, and determine the next steps based on the documentation provided.
Additional documentation may be required. Documentation must:
- Verify that the individual meets the ADA definition of disability (i.e., has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities);
- Describe the needed modification; and,
- Show the relationship between the individual’s disability and the need for the requested modification.
Examples of reasonable modification to a face covering policy:
- Suggest a person to wear a scarf, loose face covering, or full face shield instead of a face covering;
- Attend all appointments by telephone or video calls; and/or,
- Take classes online.
Questions? Contact the Center for Student Success at firstname.lastname@example.org or 269-965-4150.