The KCC Foundation hosts and/or supports KCC with several events each year supporting our scholarship students and thanking our generous donors and members of the KCC community. Check back often for upcoming event dates and times or contact us for more information.
Join the KCC Foundation for a virtual exploration of the Scholarship Application, as well as to hear some tips on being successful in completing your application.
January 26, 2022, 6:00 p.m.: Join us on Zoom (this session will focus on High School students and the Gold Key and Board of Trustee Scholarships.)
February 16, 2022, 12:00 p.m.: Join us on Zoom
February 17, 2022, 7:00 p.m.: Join us on Zoom
Bruin Scholarship Open
When: Sept. 10, 2021
Where: Binder Park Golf Course, Battle Creek
This annual signature event, one of the largest in the area, raises funds for the KCC Foundation General Scholarship Program. Since 1998, the Bruin Open has raised nearly $1.4 million from generous sponsors, donors and golfers. Many students’ lives have been impacted by the funds raised at this event. Students are able to take their first college steps at KCC or walk across the stage to receive their diploma, all because of the tremendous support for this event. At each Bruin Scholarship Open, we offer “start from your cart” service assisted by our dynamic athletic teams, super scramble golf, lunch, gift bags, raffles, game holes, putting contest and more.
On Sept. 10, 2021 240 golfer enjoyed a fantastic day of friend-raising and fund-raising at the 24th Annual Bruin Scholarship Open. More than $118,000 was raised by participants and over 130 sponsors for student scholarships. The Foundation extends its deepest gratitude to all the contributors, partners, golfers, course staff and KCC crew who helped make this event such a success. Click the 2021 Bruin Open Event Sponsors to see a list of our amazing KCC Bruin supporters!
Celebration of Donors & Scholars
This in-person event is on hold for 2021 due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
A “Virtual” Celebration of KCC Performing Arts
When: April 27, 2021
This free gala (which can still be viewed on YouTube) featured the talents of the KCC choirs, alumni, theater cast members, and faculty artists, with a word from notable KCC alum, and star of the CBS hit show Young Sheldon, Lance Barber.
All proceeds support Performing Arts at KCC. There is still a chance to participate. You can find more information on sponsorship levels for the Gala here.
Bid a Brighter Future
When: March 3 & 4, 2022
This annual KCC employee auction and raffle began in 2004 and nearly $160,000 has been contributed by KCC staff, faculty and administrators for the benefit of KCC student scholarship awards or emergency needs. Special activities such as a wine pull add to the excitement of the event that already features a silent auction of over 80 items, prize and cash raffles. The 2021 Bid a Brighter Future theme of “Raising Superheroes” was a tribute to our commitment to supporting student success. Many thanks to the KCC employees and community who donate items, serve on the committee, and help raise much needed and appreciated funds to help our students. This event is open to KCC full-time and part-time employees, adjunct instructors, and retirees.
The Starfish Award program was established in 1999 and is based on the classic Starfish Story of a young man who sees an old man picking up stranded starfish at the beach and throwing them back into the sea. The award recognizes a Kellogg Community College faculty or staff member who has played a significant role in a student’s educational career at KCC. Nominations are submitted by graduating KCC students in the spring and recipients are typically announced at the college’s annual commencement breakfast (in 2021 the awards were announced virtually).
2021 Starfish Award Recipients
Congratulations to the following individuals who received the 2021 Starfish Award. Learn more about these individuals, directly from their nominators, here.
- Academic Advisor Caleb Ausbury, nominated by Abigail Licth
- Math Professor Anna Cox, nominated by Brittney Costa
- Business Administration Professor Susan McCabe, nominated by Keona Ackley
- Student Life Department Assistant Kristin McDermott, nominated by Payton Espolon
- Manager of Early Childhood and Teacher Education Ann Miller, nominated by Briannah Porter and Luz Cleland
- English Professor Matthew Samra, nominated by Isabella Proulx
- Physical Science Professor Ron Smith, nominated by Kimberly Totzke
2021 Starfish Award Nominees
- Math Instructor (Adjunct) Gary Comfort, nominated by Cheyanne Jonas
- Director of Nursing Education Liz Fluty, nominated by Jacob Janofski
- Manager of Student Life Drew Hutchinson, nominated by Payton Molnar
- Dean of Enrollment Services and Financial Aid Nikki Jewell, nominated by Angela Keene-Kennedy
- Academic Advisor Kerri Langdon-Fischer, nominated by Kalina Dery
- Nursing Professor Renee Mielke, nominated by Chelsea Brown
- Nursing Program Specialist Abby Pero, nominated by Jacob Janofski
- Nursing Professor Jennifer Rodriguez, nominated by Jazimien Clark
- Computer Engineering Professor Ruth Schultz, nominated by Kristopher Heldt
- Nursing Professor Gina Thomas, nominated by Bailey Whitcomb
- Business Professor Joseph Vitanza, nominated by Catherine Gillihan