Industrial Trades Orientation

Welcome to Kellogg Community College’s Regional Manufacturing Technology Center!

An exterior view of the RMTC
The Regional Manufacturing Technology Center (RMTC) is a regional campus for Kellogg Community College (KCC) and home to all industrial trades programs offered by KCC. Limited offerings are also available at other locations:

  • Eastern Academic Center (EAC) in Albion, MI
    • Industrial Technology
    • Industrial Electricity/Electronics
    • Industrial Welding
  • the Branch Area Careers Center (BACC) in Coldwater, MI
    • Industrial Electricity and Electronics
    • Industrial Machining Technology
    • Industrial Technology
  • Hastings High School
    • Industrial Welding

The Industrial Trades programs are provided in a non-traditional format, which is often described using terms such as open entry open exit, modular, and competency-based. To learn more about the open-entry open-exit format visit the Industrial Trades page on the website.

Kellogg Community College

Since Industrial Trades students are KCC students, all policies and procedures which apply to KCC students also apply to Industrial Trades students. KCC policies and procedures are discussed within two KCC documents – the Student Handbook and the Academic Catalog. To learn more about programs, services, and extra-curricular activities available at KCC, take the Online Student Orientation. All RMTC students must apply to KCC. Students may complete the online Application for Admission.

Sponsored students must have a Sponsored Student Billing Authorization on file at the RMTC prior to registering for modules. Check with registration staff to verify billing authorization status.

Note: Students who are sponsored by a third party or who are receiving financial aid may be required to follow special registration and course completion guidelines.

Hours of Operation

The RMTC is open year round with exceptions for holidays, general session, interim session, spring break, and summer break or other college closing dates. There is no instruction or open lab hours between semesters. RMTC closures will be published on the Lab Schedule. Printed copies of the Lab Schedule are available at the Registration Desk, the Resource Center, and are posted throughout the facility.

Please see the RMTC Spring 2022 Lab Schedule for the current semester’s hours of operation at the RMTC in Battle Creek, Michigan. Please contact a satellite location for their lab availability.

Sign up for campus alerts to determine if the RMTC is closed. For more information on the types of campus closures or where to find campus closing information, refer to the Student Handbook.

K-IDs and Computer Usage

All KCC students are assigned a student ID number also referred to as a K-ID (or KCC ID number). The K-ID number should be used in place of a social security number on all KCC documents. Resource Center staff can assist students with K-ID number questions or problems.

The K-ID number is also required for email, Internet access, and the time clock. Resource Center staff can assist students with accessing email and the Internet. All KCC students must abide by the KCC Acceptable Use Policy when using KCC computers. Please read this policy prior to accessing online services.

Bruin Portal Instructions

Portal Login

Students will use the Bruin Portal to access the student email system, register for classes, access online classes, print class schedules, print sponsor progress reports, and look up grades.

Self Pay Students

Self-pay students are students who are paying for their own education with cash, credit, scholarships, loans, or financial aid.

How much a self-pay student can afford to register for and when a self-pay student may register depend on the type of funding he or she is using. Registration staff can help students determine how many modules to register for at one time and when those modules need to be completed.

Class Schedules

Self-pay students must carry their Class Schedule at all times. Self-pay students will be required to present their Class Schedule to Resource Center staff in order to get module packets and to instructors in order to work on modules in the training labs. Students will not be allowed to start modules without a Class Schedule. Students have access to print their class schedule in their Bruin Portal.

Dropped Modules

Self-pay students must officially drop modules, which they do not intend to complete. These modules must be dropped prior to the drop deadline. The drop deadline can be found on the RMTC Lab Schedule each semester. Please see the Final Assessments & Grades section regarding grading information for modules that are not dropped or completed.

Refund Requests

The Academic Appeals committee must approve all refund requests made after the drop deadline. Contact the Records and Registration office for more information at 269-965-5522.

Back to Top

Financial Aid

Many RMTC students may be eligible for financial aid. In order to determine whether or not you are eligible, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. This form is referred to as the FAFSA. Information provided on this form will be used to determine what type of aid you are eligible to receive. All RMTC students are encouraged to communicate directly with the Financial Aid Office if they have questions or concerns regarding their financial aid.

For more information on financial aid visit the Financial Aid Office on the main KCC campus in the Student Center (which is marked as SC on the map below). Or call Financial Aid at 269-965-4123.

Responsibilities of the Student

  1. Acquire necessary forms to complete the financial aid file. Links to all required forms are provided to students in the Financial Aid Self Service section when logged into their Bruin Portal upon receipt of the processed FAFSA information. If the forms are misplaced, the student may access them online at:
  2. Complete and return all required forms to the Financial Aid office to complete the financial aid file as soon as possible.
  3. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, as outlined in the Satisfactory Academic Progress section.
  4. Meet all deadlines as established by the institution each academic year.
  5. Read all information provided by the Financial Aid office (provided through KCC email account and the Financial Aid Self Service section of the Bruin Portal).
  6. Maintain a file of all correspondence to and from the Financial Aid office. This would include application information, appeal requests, award letters, promissory notes, employment information, etc.
  7. Report outside sources of financial aid to the Financial Aid office in a timely manner.
  8. Report changes of name and/or address to the Records office.
  9. Be aware of your payment obligations to the college and the status of your financial aid. Continue to meet your payment deadlines, whether or not your financial aid has been processed.

Enrollment Levels for Financial Aid

These enrollment levels apply to all semesters, including summer semester.

Full-time: 12 or more credit hours
3/4-time: 9 – 11 credit hours
1/2-time: 6 – 8 credit hours
Less than 1/2-time: Less than 6 credit hours

If you add or drop classes after financial aid has been disbursed for the semester your enrollment level will determine if you owe KCC additional funds or if you receive additional financial aid.

Any courses for which there is an “I” grade on your transcript for a previous enrollment period will not be counted toward your level of enrollment for a current semester for financial aid. An “I” grade means you agreed to complete the course by a specified date without re-enrolling for the class.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

To remain eligible for state and federal financial aid programs, students need to make Satisfactory Academic Progress toward achieving a degree or certificate. Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress are applied to all students who wish to establish or maintain financial aid eligibility at Kellogg Community College, regardless if they have received financial aid funds in the past.

Industrial Trade classes are treated like regular courses during the semester for which the student registers. Students must complete all course work by the published last day of the semester when Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is evaluated. Those classes not completed will be counted as attempted and not completed. If the student is placed on probation or suspension due to non-completion, once the course is complete and a grade is assigned, the student may complete a Satisfactory Academic Appeal form to request a re-evaluation of SAP progress. All Industrial Trade courses receive a grade of “P” upon completion. This grade is factored in as a 2.0 GPA for SAP purposes. For more information see Students must participate in these courses with completed assignments to be considered eligible for financial aid.

Contact the Financial Aid office by phone, fax, email, in person, or visit us on the web

Phone: 269-965-4123
Fax: 269-966-4089
On the web:

Back to Top

Calculating Financial Aid Awards for Registration

Student financial aid award amounts available for registration are dependent upon the amount of credit the student registers for in a given semester.

Pell Grant CalculatorAs Industrial Trades students may register at any point during the semester, the number of credits they are able to complete prior to the end of the semester will dictate the amount of the award they receive. Refer to the Instructions for Calculating Credit.

Once students have determined the number of credits, they should calculate the total cost (lab fees and tuition) for those credits.

Then students may go to the Pell Grant Calculator on the Financial Aid Website. Students may enter the EFC amount, number of credit hours, and click on Calculate. The calculator will provide the amount of the award available for registration.

Students should match this amount with the total cost of the credits.

Back to Top

Sponsored Students

Sponsored students are students whose training is paid in full by a third party (either a company or an agency). Once the training program is setup and authorized by the sponsor the student may register for classes.

Sponsored Student Billing Authorization

Sponsored students must have a current Sponsored Student Billing Authorization – Fall 2021 on file before registering for classes. Billing authorizations for the next semester are due by the last day of classes in the current semester. The last day of classes for each semester can be found in the Academic Calendar. Allow at least two weeks for the billing authorization to be processed.

Student Confidentiality

Sponsors often require periodic updates on student progress. Sponsored students will sign a statement releasing confidential information to their sponsor.

This will authorize the College to release information on the students’ academic attendance, integrity, and hardship within the authorized modules.

Student Grades

Sponsored students will also sign a statement releasing grades to their sponsor. This will authorize the College to release student progress reports at the end of the semester.

Program Information

The authorization will list the modules the student is allowed to register for during the semester.

Students who register for modules which are not listed on the authorization will be charged for those modules.

Students who register for classes prior to the billing authorization being processed or who register for modules which are not listed on the authorization will be dropped from those modules within 24 hours for nonpayment.

Student Progress Reports

The College will send a progress report to the authorized representative of the sponsor at the end of the semester. If the sponsor requires more frequent progress reports, the student will be required to provide them to the sponsor. Students can pull their unofficial transcript/course history by logging into their Bruin Portal and clicking on the Transcripts link, then downloading an unofficial transcript.

Back to Top

Resource Center

Resource Room Entry

The Resource Center is central to training at the RMTC. This is where students pick up module packets and materials, study, take tests, watch videos, and use the computer lab for accessing online or CD-ROM content.

Resource Room study area

Resource Room study area

A current printed schedule is required in order to obtain module materials.

All module materials must be returned to the Resource Center prior to taking a test. Only selected books will be permanently issued to students. Resource Center staff will explain which materials students may keep and which materials students must return.

Cell phone usage is not allowed in the Resource Center. Keep discussions to a minimum. Be mindful of other students who are studying or taking tests.

Neither the RMTC nor the RMTC staff are responsible for lost or stolen property. Students should take these items with them as they move from the Resource Center to other areas of the facility.

Module Packets and Moodle

Your RMTC program is divided into units of study. Each program has a different number of units. Units are numbered consecutively using two digits (05, 10, 15, etc). There can be anywhere from one module to 20 modules within a unit of study. Modules are numbered consecutively using three digits (010, 020, 030, etc).

Module PacketsThere is a packet for each RMTC module or your module syllabus and materials will be available in your student portal by clicking on Moodle. You should check your portal first to see if any materials are found there. If not found in Moodle, the materials and module packets will be available in the Resource Center. Module packets are colored by program and labeled by module number and module title. Module numbers are listed on your program sheet. You should use the module number and your printed class schedule when requesting a module packet and materials. For example, “the test for INEL 05 010.”

Each module packet includes an objective sheet with a learning objective, a list of learning activities, a description of check out activities (or assessments), and the minimum score required to pass the module.

Questions pertaining to module content should be addressed to the program instructor. General questions pertaining to module materials such as availability or missing documents may be addressed to Resource Center staff.

Back to Top

Final Assessments and Grades

The RMTC is a for-credit, performance-based program. This means that students must meet minimum performance requirements in order to pass a module. Minimum performance is measured by an activity or assessment. These may be lab activities, other activities and/or written tests. Students must score either an 80%, 90%, or 100% depending upon the activity/assessment.

All lab activities must be performed in the training lab under the supervision of the instructor.

All written tests must be taken in the Resource Center under the supervision of Resource Center staff. No written test can be taken out of the Resource Center. Written test answers should be recorded on a separate sheet of paper. Please do not write on the test itself. After completing a written test, return the test form to Resource Center staff and take the answer sheet to the instructor for grading.

Please note: Electricity/Electronics, HVAC/R and Pipefitting written tests are taken in the lab area if taken during open lab hours. Otherwise, students should take the test in the Resource Center.

Note: It is the student’s responsibility to check with the instructor to ensure he/she passed the test.

The instructor will grade the lab activities and written tests. When the student achieves the minimum score on all activities/assessments, they will obtain a Certificate of Competency “Pass Slip” from their instructor, and a Pass or “P” grade will be applied to the student’s transcript.


Students will receive one of three grades for each module:

P (Pass) – Indicates students have successfully completed the module(s)
I (Incomplete) – Please see College’s Incomplete Policy
N (No Credit) – Indicates students have not passed the module(s) within a course specified time frame or attempt

Incomplete grades and/or No Credit grades could negatively impact your financial aid.

Module Incomplete Grades: To request an incomplete grade, students must work with their faculty to submit an incomplete contract prior to the end of the semester you are registered. Please see incomplete contract information for more detailed information about how to request an incomplete grade for industrial trades modules.

Back to Top

Time Clock

RMTC Time Clock

RMTC time clock side view

Financial aid and certain sponsored students are required to punch in and out on the time clock each time they visit the RMTC. Both sponsors and the Financial Department expect students to use the time clock honestly and ethically.

Sponsored students are responsible for obtaining their own time clock reports and submitting those reports to their sponsors. See the Timeclock Printing Instructions for information on how to print time clock reports.

Training Lab Guidelines

The equipment and materials used in the training lab may be dangerous. Training modules will review safety procedures. The following lab guidelines apply to all RMTC students:

Safety glasses must be worn in designated areas.

Wear appropriate clothing. No open toe or open heel shoes, no jewelry, and no loose hanging clothing.

Talk with an instructor before operating equipment, tools, or machines.

Report all broken tools or equipment to the instructor so they may be repaired or replaced. Failure to do this may result in critical injury.

Immediately report all injuries to the instructor.

Students are not allowed in the training labs when the labs are officially closed. The training labs are officially closed between noon and 1 p.m. for lunch.

Equipment and trainers are available on a first come, first serve basis. Anyone leaving a workstation without notifying the instructor can lose that workstation.

Students must clean their workstations when finished. This includes taking care of scrap materials and returning all tools and equipment to the tool crib or the instructor.

Welding Students: Due to the risks presented by the COVID virus in sharing welding gear, all students will be required to provide their own Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) going forward. Students will not be allowed to weld in the lab without this gear.

    • Where to Purchase PPE: Direct from local vendor – Airgas, or 2475 W Dickman Rd, Springfield, MI  49037, phone 269-963-7929. On your own – It is recommended you verify with a KCC welding instructor whether an item is appropriate before making any purchases on your own.
    • Required PPE: 1) Work boots/shoes (determined by student), 2) Welding helmet (Lincoln 1740 helmet or similar), 3) Welding jacket (green FR type jacket (not brand specific), 4) Welding gloves, 5) Oxy-fuel face shield (#5, not brand specific), and 6) Safety glasses (determined by student). Estimated cost excluding shoes $125 to $150.

Back to Top

Prior Experiential Learning and Transfer Credit

Prior Experience

Instructors may determine that a student already possesses the knowledge, skills and abilities required to pass a module. This is called Prior Experiential Learning Credit. Students who wish to receive Prior Experiential Learning Credit must verify skill attainment with the instructor by either taking the final assessment activity, providing prior training documentation, or presenting a letter from a supervisor. There is a minimal fee for processing credit for prior experience.


Students who would like to have credit transferred from a previous school to KCC, must have an official transcript sent to KCC. Contact the previous school to get information on forwarding transcripts to KCC. Once received, the transcripts will be reviewed by a program instructor. Students will receive KCC credit for classes from the previous school which are equivalent to KCC modules and which meet the minimum grade requirement. For more information on transfer credit, speak with the Executive Director or Process Specialist at the RMTC.

Academic Integrity

Because the RMTC provides instructor facilitated training as opposed to instructor led training, there are more opportunities to violate academic integrity. However, violations of academic integrity will meet with harsh penalties and may result in academic suspension. For more information on academic integrity, please refer to the Policy on Academic Integrity in the Student Handbook.

Back to Top

College Credit and Graduation

All Industrial Trades modules are credit bearing. This means students earn college credit for each module they pass. This credit will apply towards a certificate and an associate degree.

All RMTC students are encouraged to apply for graduation when they complete a certificate or associate degree program. Deadlines for graduation are posted on the KCC web site.

More manufacturers are requiring educational credentials for employment. In order to graduate and obtain an official certificate or degree from KCC, students must apply for graduation by completing an Application for Graduation. For more information on graduation and graduation requirements, refer to the Academic Catalog.

Center for Student Success

The Center for Student Success provides free educational services to all KCC students, including computer stations and software programs devoted to building academic skills.

Students can use the Center for Student Success to complete homework assignments, research papers, and other class projects. Professional staff are available to assist students with core coursework, such as reading, writing, math, science, and learning strategies.

  • Face-to-Face Academic Tutoring
  • Virtual Academic Tutoring
  • Peer and Professional Tutoring
  • Make-up & Online Testing
  • Proctored Testing for Non-KCC Students
  • Disability Services
  • Special Populations Grant
  • Student Support Services Grant…and more!

The Center for Student Success staff members are devoted to promoting, supporting and enhancing student success, persistence and retention. Contact us today to see how we can help you succeed. GoBruins!

KCC North Ave Campus
Ohm Building, Rm. 207

Back to Top

Transitional Studies Program

Students who need to develop their academic skills in order to be successful in college can enroll in Transitional Studies courses. These courses are designed to help bridge the gap between a student’s current skill level and being college-ready.

Students who do not have strong math, reading, and/or English skills are strongly encouraged to take the NEXT GENERATION ACCUPLACER assessment to determine if transitional studies courses can improve their academic performance.

Main Campus Map

Most of the KCC services discussed in this orientation are provided on the main KCC campus. RMTC staff can help you locate departments on campus. See the campus map to find the buildings in which those departments are located.

Back to Top

Tips for Success

In order to be successful at the RMTC, students should fully engage in the learning process.

Talk with the instructor. The instructor is available to explain concepts, demonstrate lab activities, and answer questions. Because of the open entry open exit format, the instructor doesn’t always know when students are having difficulties. Students must take the initiative to talk with instructors early and often.

Establish deadlines. Contact hours are provided for each module. Determine how many hours it will take to complete a program and set up an attendance schedule.

Let us know what you need. Feel free to talk with us about training and employment goals.

Thank you for selecting the RMTC.

We are looking forward to helping you succeed!

KCC-RMTC Faculty and Staff

Back to Top