Application Process

Image of a computer keyboard and a hand on a computer mouse.How to Apply for Financial Aid

Students can submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using the following methods:

  1. Internet filing at  (preferred method).
  2. Complete a PDF FAFSA (a paper application can be downloaded from the U.S. Department of Education website at
  3. Students may also request a paper FAFSA be mailed by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). Note: A renewal reminder will be sent to the student if they submitted a FAFSA the previous year.

The process for requesting financial aid through the College is the same for all types of need-based assistance. Students should follow these steps:

  1. The student should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  2. The application cannot be filed before October 1 for the upcoming academic year.
  3. The Financial Aid Office recommends that students and parents (of dependent students) use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool while completing the FAFSA application in order to provide accurate information.
  4. Approximately 48-72 hours after filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, the student will receive a Federal Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal processor. The college(s) listed on the FAFSA will receive the same information electronically.

Preferred deadlines at KCC

  • Fall Semester: July 29
  • Spring Semester: November 26
  • Summer Semester: April 15

Special Circumstance Appeal

Request for adjustment – Students may request that the financial situation of the family be re-evaluated for the following reasons:

  • Drastic changes to income.
    1. Drastic reduction in income.
    2. A student/spouse or parent/step-parent who reported work earnings on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has remained unemployed for at least 13 weeks during the following year.
    3. A student/spouse or parent/step-parent had a complete loss of unemployment compensation or a loss of a nontaxable benefit (such as social security benefits, a pension or child support).
    4. A student/spouse or parent/step-parent has become separated, divorced or widowed after submitting the FAFSA.
  • Medical expenses not paid by insurance.
  • Private school tuition (elementary through high school only).

By completing the Request for Adjustment to Family Income/EFC form (available in the Financial Aid office) and providing required documentation, professional judgment may be used to adjust information that may affect the family contribution. Requests for Adjustment to Family Income/EFC forms will not be made available until July 1. All income adjustments received after Oct. 31 must include signed copies of the student’s current and next year federal tax returns.