Financial Aid COVID Support

The staff at Kellogg Community College understand that issues related to COVID-19 have caused hardships on many students and their families. We want you to know that we will work with you to help you start or continue your attendance at KCC. If you are experiencing a hardship or changes in your finances, the first step is to review the information below, complete the required forms, and contact us should you have questions.

Special Circumstances

If you have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2021-2022 and you, your spouse, or your parent(s) became unemployed or worked less due to Covid-19 or any other reason, you may complete the Special Circumstance Form. Once complete, submit this form, along with the required documentation, using the contact information below.
There are other situations which may warrant a Special Circumstance and are listed on the form. Examples may be unusual medical expenses not covered by insurance, technology expenses which you were forced to pay when classes went remote, etc..

***Students with an EFC of 0 should not report changes to income as this is the lowest EFC possible and will be considered for the maximum amount in federal grant funding. Households with higher EFCs will need to show a significant decrease to household income to lower their EFC to be equal to or less than 5576 for a full-time student to receive federal grant funding.***

2021-2022 Special Circumstances

Dependent Student Special Circumstance Appeal
Independent Student Special Circumstance Appeal

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) was expanded as part of the sweeping relief package to allow college students to more easily access the program, temporarily removing work and eligibility requirements for students — a change that will be in place for the duration of the public health emergency due to the coronavirus.

The provision lifted certain exemptions to the federal criteria for students to be eligible for the program, making it possible for students with an expected family contribution (EFC) of $0 on their financial aid application, or those who are eligible for state or federal work-study to enroll for SNAP under the temporarily expanded eligibility criteria. 

Students can apply for SNAP and other benefits through the State of Michigan using this link: MI Bridges (

Students can find additional information about SNAP benefits using this link: Students | USDA-FNS

FCC Emergency Broadband Program


The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has announced a May 12 start date for its Emergency Broadband Benefit Program that aims to provide subsidies for students struggling to pay for internet amid the pandemic. The program, first established in February, will allow eligible households — which include those with a Pell Grant recipient or that have experienced significant income loss since February 2020 — to receive substantially subsidized broadband service ($50 monthly subsidy for most, $75 monthly subsidy for those on tribal lands) and devices ($100 one-time subsidy for a device). The agency is urging students to familiarize themselves with the registration process so that, come May 12, they’ll be able to enroll and work through the FCC verification process as soon as the program is live.

Additional Resources

Kellogg Community College Foundation
Phone: 269-965-4161

The KCC Foundation can provide: Scholarships for tuition, fees and books – as well as Emergency Assistance funds –

Center for Student Success
Phone: 269-660-2296 or 269-965-4150
Fax: 269-965-8850

The CSS provides limited financial assistance, tutoring services, referrals to community and campus resources, and also disability accommodations.

Summit Pointe First StepMental Health Care
140 West Michigan Avenue
Battle Creek, MI 49017
(269) 966-1460

United Way 211 – Get help with paying bills, finding food, and other local services.

The Coordinating CouncilReferral Tree : Information on health & human services available through non-profits and government agencies in Calhoun County Location: 140 W. Michigan Ave, Battle Creek, MI 49017 or call (269) 441-5956.

Click here for Local Food Pantries