Financial Aid FAQ

  1. Do I need to apply for admission to the College before I apply for financial aid?
    Yes. If your FAFSA is received prior to completing the Admissions Application, your FAFSA will be processed once the application is completed.
  2. I applied for financial aid last year. Do I need to reapply?
    Yes, you will need to reapply every academic school year for financial aid.
  3.  How do I apply for financial aid?
    File it electronically over the Internet at
  4. My parents are divorced. Whose income information do I use?
    Use the income of the parent you currently reside with or who provides the majority of support for you.
  5. I am under 24 and I don’t live with my parents or my parents don’t claim me on their tax returns. Do I still need to use their information on the FAFSA?
    Yes. Even if you do not live with your parents, if you do not meet the federal definition of an
    Independent Student, you are required to supply parent information on the FAFSA.
  6. My parent is remarried. Do I need to use my step-parent’s income/tax information on the FAFSA?
  7. I am separated from my spouse now. How do I file for financial aid?
    As of the day you are completing the FAFSA, your marital status would be separated. If a joint tax return was filed, you will need to submit that with copies of your W2 forms. If you become separated after filing the FAFSA, please check with our office about correcting the information.
  8. I applied for financial aid at a different school, but now I want to attend KCC. What do I do?
    KCC’s Financial Aid office will need to have the FAFSA information submitted by the student in order to begin the process of financial aid eligibility determination. Students may either:
    – Go online to the Federal Student Aid web site ( and update completed FAFSA with the KCC School Code: 002276.
    – Call 1-800-433-3243 and request that KCC’s school code is added.
  9. I’m attending another school for fall, but I want to transfer to KCC in the spring. What do I do? You can list KCC as a school choice on the FAFSA so we receive the information electronically. See process above.
  10. Is there a deadline for filing for financial aid?
    Students can apply no sooner than October 1 for the upcoming Fall semester and no later than June 30 for the current academic year.
  11. Why do I have to answer question 23 about drug convictions?
    Under the law, some students who have drug-related convictions may be ineligible for federal student aid. For help answering question 23 on the FAFSA, please call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or go to
  12. I lost my job, I am cutting my hours at work so I can attend school, or I am working a different job and making less money. How does this affect my aid?
    The Financial Aid office has a special consideration form for students to fill out when there is a dramatic change in income. It can have a significant affect in the amount of aid a student receives. Please contact our office for more information.
  13. How long does it take for my financial aid to get on my account?
    The student’s file must be complete and awarded before aid can be applied to a student’s account. Financial aid program disbursements are applied to tuition and fee charges on student accounts sometime during the first few weeks of each semester. The exact disbursement date for each semester is determined prior to the start of the academic year. Direct loan payments may be disbursed at a later date.
  14. What is an award letter and what do I do with it?
    The award notification tells you what type of aid you are awarded and the dollar amount. Unless you are declining aid or decreasing a loan amount, you do not need to do anything. You will receive an updated letter each time your aid changes.
  15. What is an electronic Master Promissory Note?
    The Electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document or loan agreement you are required to sign stating you will repay your William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan. 
  16. How much money can I borrow?
    A student with less than 24 credit hours completed may borrow $3,500, if eligible. A student with more than 24 credit hours completed may borrow $4,500 in subsidized loans, if eligible. Dependent students may borrow up to an additional $2,000 and independent students may borrow up to an additional $6,000 in unsubsidized loans, if eligible.
  17. What’s the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans?
    A subsidized loan is the type of loan where the student makes no payments as long as they are enrolled in six credit hours. The interest and principal are deferred. A unsubsidized loan works the same way except the student is responsible for paying the interest while attending classes.
  18. How does my loan get credited to my account?
    All loans are disbursed in two payments. For a one-semester loan, one half is disbursed at the beginning of the semester and the second half at mid-semester. A one-year (two-semester) loan is disbursed half in the first semester and half in the second semester.
  19. What is the interest rate on my loan?
    The interest rate is capped at 8.25%.
  20. What is a Disclosure Notice?
    A Disclosure Notice is mailed directly from the Loan Servicing Center to notify the student of anticipated disbursement dates and the amounts. Contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center at 1-800-848-0979.
  21. When can I charge books and supplies in the bookstore?
    If there is a financial aid award on the system and the books are available, the bookstore and website will publish the time frame.
  22. How do I get my Michigan Merit Award?
    Contingent upon funding availability, students must go online at to certify the Michigan Merit Award. Once the school receives roster with the student’s name, the award is put on KCC’s system.
  23. If I receive financial aid, can I still get the Hope and Lifetime Learning Tax Credits?
    Check with your tax preparer for more information regarding this.
  24. I’m in default on my student loans. Can I get a Federal Pell Grant?
    No. Students in default on a federal student loan are not eligible for any federal or state financial aid. Students must make six consecutive payments on a defaulted loan and make satisfactory payment arrangements with the Department of Education to regain eligibility for aid. Students must present the Financial Aid office with official notification from the Department of Education that they are no longer in default to receive Title IV aid.
  25. What is Kellogg Community College’s Federal School Code?
  26. What is a Federal FSA ID Username and Password, who needs one, and where do I get one?
    If you don’t already have a FSA ID, apply for one at . You’ll need a FSA ID to electronically sign your FAFSA. If you’re a dependent student, at least one parent must also apply for a FSA ID so they can electronically sign your FAFSA.