Kellogg Community College continues its annual celebration of Black History Month this February with a series of online events, initiatives and resources focused on the African American experience.
Online Events & Activities
Special online initiatives will kick off each week of Black History Month at approximately noon on the following dates:
- Week 1 (starting Monday, Feb. 1): A virtual museum tour of the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, DC
- Week 2 (starting Monday, Feb. 8): “Unsung Americans Sung: A Celebration of the Black American Musical Tapestry,” a special Black History Month virtual concert series presented on YouTube and featuring performances in three parts, including:
- Part 1, featuring performances by Dr. Gerald J. Case-Blanchard, baritone, and Lukas Swidzinski, pianist
- Part 2, featuring performances by the Kellogg Community College Choral Union; Dr. Gerald J. Case-Blanchard, conductor; and Nancy Brown, pianist
- Part 3, a Faculty/ Guest Artist Recital featuring performances by Carmen Bell, soprano; Dr. Gerald Case-Blanchard, baritone; Dr. Carl Ratner, baritone (a guest artist from WMU); and Paula Harris, pianist
- Week 3 (starting Monday, Feb. 15): A special performance by the Brandon Fitzpatrick Trio, created specifically for KCC’s Black History Month celebration
- Week 4 (starting Monday, Feb. 22): A virtual hustle dance class led by Crystal Hall
- View our list of 16 books to read during Black History Month, recommended by KCC English professor Ron Davis
- View our list of 23 movies and TV series to watch during Black History Month, recommended by KCC English professor Ron Davis
- KCC Vice President of Instruction Dr. Paul Watson answers the question: What does Black History Month mean to me? on YouTube
- KCC Vocal Arts Director and Music Coordinator Dr. Gerald Case-Blanchard answers the question: What does Black History Month mean to me? on YouTube
For more information about Black History Month events, initiatives and resources at KCC, contact KCC’s Student Life office at 269-565-2634 or firstname.lastname@example.org.