Chosen Name FAQs

Here are answers to frequently asked questions about chosen names.

What is a chosen first name?

A chosen first name is a name that a person uses in their daily life that is different than the name appearing on their legal records. Students and employees can share their chosen first name with the College by entering it in the KCC Bruin Portal (see instructions on how to do this below).

Where will my chosen first name appear?

Your chosen first name will be used in Moodle, Starfish, on class rosters, on the President’s List and Dean’s List and in most communications from the College. You may also have your chosen first name appear on your KCC ID, on your diploma and in the KCC Commencement program and can indicate your chosen first name during those processes.

Where will my chosen first name not appear?

Your chosen first name will not appear any place where your legal name is required. This includes your federal financial aid documents, official transcripts, payroll records or employment records.

How do I submit my chosen first name?

  1. Log into the Bruin Portal
  2. Click on your KCC ID number at the top of the page
  3. Click on “User Profile”
  4. Click on “Edit Personal Identity”
  5. Enter the chosen first name
  6. Click “Save”

What are the guidelines for setting a chosen first name?

Chosen first name is limited to alphabetical characters, a hyphen (-) and space. Generally, you can set a chosen first name to any name. The College reserves the right to delete a chosen first name if it is used inappropriately, such as misrepresentation or fraud, or contains defaming, discriminatory or harassing language as prohibited in the KCC Student Code of Conduct. Such language may also be subject to disciplinary action according to the Student Code of Conduct.

Can I delete or change my chosen first name?

Yes. If you have designated a chosen first name and later decide that you would prefer to use your legal name, contact the Registrar’s Office. Your chosen first name can be changed an unlimited number of times; however, changing your name often could cause confusion for your instructors and fellow students.

When can I submit my chosen first name?

You can submit your chosen first name at any time and it will appear on your record within 24 hours of submission. It is best to submit your chosen first name prior to the start of the semester. If you submit your chosen first name after the start of the semester, there are some systems and processes that might not register your chosen first name in a timely manner. For instance, if your instructor has drawn down the class roster before you submit your chosen first name, that roster will show your legal name instead.

How can I change my legal name?

Students who want to change their legal name on College records must provide legal documentation (i.e., marriage license, driver’s license, court documentation, divorce papers, etc.) before name changes are processed. Submit this information to the Registrar’s Office along with picture ID, your current name and your KCC ID number. This information can also be emailed to [email protected] or mailed to the KCC Registrar’s Office, 450 North Ave., Battle Creek, MI 49017-3397. Students with questions can also email or call the Registrar’s Office at 269-965-5522.