COVID-19 Benefits Update
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan has increased coverages during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Below are updated benefits:
- All diagnostic laboratory tests for COVID-19 when used in accordance with CDC testing recommendations will be fully covered by Blue Cross at no cost to the member.
- To ensure patients receive the right care at the right locations, Blue Cross will be waiving prior authorization processes for covered services related to COVID-19 — unless prior authorization is required to assure the availability of the treatment for persons in need
- In anticipation of high demand at health care provider offices, Blue Cross will be expanding access to telemedicine and nurse/provider hotlines.
MESSA provides the additional services of:
- 24/7 NurseLine: 800.414.2014
- Online Telemedicine: bcbsmonlinevisits.com
- Additional information and updates from MESSA at www.messa.org/covid19
MESSA announced March 19, 2020 that they have taken the following steps to ensure access to care for all MESSA members and their covered dependents:
- MESSA will fully cover medically necessary testing and treatment for COVID-19 for all MESSA members and their covered dependents. Members will not have to pay a deductible, copayment or coinsurance.
Health, Dental, Vision , Life and Long Term Disability
Faculty insurance is covered by MESSA. There are five options for faculty to choose from. There are two $1,000/$2,000 deductible Choices II plans, an ABC 1 High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) with a $1,400/$2,800 deductible, an ABC 2 HDHP with a $2,000/$4,000 deductible, both HDHP deductibles funded in full by the College, a basic bronze level plan called Essentials, and an option to waive the health insurance for Cash in lieu of insurance but maintain the dental and vision coverage. Further information is available in the below documents.
- Summary of Benefits Essentials by MESSA 375-750
- Summary of Benefits MESSA Choices 500-1000 Rx Saver
- Summary of Benefits MESSA Choices 500-1000 Rx 3-Tier
- Summary of Benefit MESSA ABC 1400-2800
- Summary of Benefit MESSA ABC 2000-4000
- MESSA Delta Dental
- MESSA Vision Service Plan VPS3
- MESSA Term Life Insurance
- MESSA Long Term Disability Insurance
Delta Dental Plan year runs from July 1 – June 30.
VSP-3 Plan year runs from July 1 – June 30.
Medical Plan year runs from Jan. 1 – Dec. 31.
Faculty members may participate in health benefits or receive a cash-in-lieu payment. Vision, dental, life and LTD are provided for all employees in these groups. Part-time employees’ costs are pro-rated and coverage is effective on the employee’s hire date. Qualifying events (i.e. change in hours, loss of other coverage, or change in dependents) allow for a change in benefit elections within a thirty day time period from the date of the event. Please notify human resources (ext. 2369) of possible qualifying events within the thirty day time period, if not sooner, for further information.
Health Savings Account (HSA)
Health Equity is the vendor that handles the MESSA high savings account. Their website can be located at
Flex Spending Account (FSA)
- Federally Mandated Notices
- Notice Regarding the Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act of 1998
- Newborn Mothers Health Protection Act
- Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009
- Privacy Notice