Based on current best practices to prevent the spread of COVID-19, face-to-face tutoring in our lab is not currently available. However, we have increased our virtual services. Instructional assistants will be available for one-on-one tutoring appointments, Monday through Friday, by appointment only. Please schedule your virtual tutoring appointment now. Students will receive virtual meeting information at least one hour before the scheduled appointment through KCC email.
To meet your academic support needs, schedule changes will be made throughout the semester, including the inclusion of face-to-face tutoring, as we continue to adapt to COVID-19 recommendations.
The Center for Student Success offers free, face-to-face and virtual English/writing and math tutoring for students in Ohm 207. Please schedule your appointment via the following links:
The open lab schedule is an overview which includes schedules for peer tutoring and study tables, as well as schedules for services available through The Center for Student Success. Please note, schedules are subject to change.
Questions about tutoring may be directed to the Center for Student Success at email@example.com, 269-660-7722 or Jeff Houldsworth, peer tutoring coordinator, 269-565-7891, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tutoring is individualized assistance from a qualified peer or professional who obtained a level of competency in the subject area.
When do I need tutoring?
- Discuss course concerns with your instructor
- After following suggestions, request a tutor if you still need help
- If your instructor recommends tutoring – request a tutor
What is the tutoring policy?
- You must be a KCC student
- You must be currently enrolled in the class you are requesting tutoring for
- You have met course prerequisites
- You have attended class regularly
- You have talked with your instructor (to provide the best assistance, we may also contact your instructor)
- Weekly tutoring hours may not exceed total credit hours of the course
- If you miss two tutoring sessions without prior notification, your tutoring will be canceled
- Behavior problems may result in termination of tutoring services
- All tutoring MUST take place in a public setting
- We will do our best to accommodate all requests. It is important to note that not all tutoring is done one-on-one. You may also be in a session with more than one student in the same course.
- Attend class regularly
- Work individually with your instructor during office hours
- Do all course homework prior to class
- Take good notes during lectures, visit Ohm 207 for assistance with note taking and study skills
- Tape record lectures (per instructor permission)
- Form a study group with others in your class
- Practice effective time management. The Academic Success Guide is available to assist with goal setting, organizing, budgeting and scheduling.
- Use resources available to you, such as classmates, coworkers, family and friends. KCC provides several options for students, including the Learning Resource Center and The Center for Student Success.
- Get comfortable with technology
- Time management and research are a big part of student life, and understanding how to properly use technology will create much better use of your time