Checking Out a Book
Take the item(s) you want to check out to the Check-out Desk. You may have a combination of up to 25 Books, CD’s, DVD’s etc. checked out at any one time. Current students and employees need to present a valid official KCC ID card, this is your library card. Clinical badges are issued to students to protect their privacy and do not contain adequate information to verify identity. You may use a government-issued ID (Driver’s License, state ID, passport) for an exception one time only.
The following loan periods apply to library items:
- Most books: 21 days, three renewals
- Best-Sellers: 21 days, no renewal
- CD’s: 7 days, one renewal
- DVD’s: 7 days, no renewal
- MeLCat returnable items (print): 21 days, one renewal
- MeLCat returnable items (non-print): 7 days, no renewal
- Closed Reserve: due one half hour before the library closes (in-library use only)
- Reserve items: 3 day or 7 day, no renewal
- Interlibrary Loan returnable items: 14 days, no renewal
Students should make every effort to return items on time. You are responsible for payment of all fines on overdue items. If you fail to return any items including interlibrary loan and MeLCat items in a timely fashion, your borrowing privileges will be restricted. You are responsible for the payment of replacement costs for all lost or damaged items.
Print and multimedia course reserves are kept at the Check-out Desk. These items must be returned to the Check-out Desk. Due to high demand, renewals are not available for course reserves. Closed Reserves are due one half hour before the library closes and are for in-library use only. Reserve Items that check out for either 3 days or 7 days are not eligible for renewal.
Students may check out equipment at the Check-out Desk for in-library use:
- Study Rooms – 4 hour check out – one renewal per day
- Whiteboard markers
- iPad – 4 hour check out – one renewal per day
- Laptop – 4 hour check out – one renewal per day
- USB microphone
The following fees apply to items that are not returned on time:
- Overdue items: $3.00 per item
- Processing fee: $15.00 per item
- Replacement cost: varies by item
- Reserve items overdue charges: $1.00 per day
- iPad or Laptop overdue: $10.00
- iPad replacement fee: $500.00
- Laptop replacement fee: $1,000.00
- Study room overdue: $10.00
- Study room replacement key: $25.00
Community members who reside in the College’s service area (Barry, Branch and Calhoun counties) may register for a community borrower’s card at the Library’s Check-Out Desk. Community borrowers are able to check out two books at a time and use the reserved community computer for two hours/day. The borrower’s card along with a photo identification are requested at each check out. Community borrowers are not able to use Interlibrary Loan or MeLCat services, nor check out study room(s).