Tutoring is individualized assistance from a qualified peer or professional who obtained a level of competency in the subject area.
When do I need tutoring?
- Discuss course concerns with your instructor
- After following suggestions, request a tutor if you still need help
- If your instructor recommends tutoring – request a tutor
What is the tutoring policy?
- You must be a KCC student
- You must be currently enrolled in the class you are requesting tutoring for
- You have met course prerequisites
- You have attended class regularly
- You have talked with your instructor (to provide the best assistance, we may also contact your instructor)
- Weekly tutoring hours may not exceed total credit hours of the course
- If you miss two tutoring sessions without prior notification, your tutoring will be canceled
- Behavior problems may result in termination of tutoring services
- All tutoring MUST take place in a public setting
- We will do our best to accommodate all requests. It is important to note that not all tutoring is done one-on-one. You may also be in a session with more than one student in the same course.
Free tutoring is also available at The Bridge!
The open lab schedule is an overview which includes schedules for peer tutoring and study tables, as well as schedules for services available through the Academic Support Department, at The Bridge. Please note, schedules are subject to change.
- Attend class regularly
- Work individually with your instructor during office hours
- Do all course homework prior to class
- Take good notes during lectures, visit The Bridge for assistance with note taking and study skills
- Tape record lectures (per instructor permission)
- Form a study group with others in your class
- Practice effective time management. The Academic Success Guide is available to assist with goal setting, organizing, budgeting and scheduling.
- Use resources available to you, such as classmates, coworkers, family and friends. KCC provides several options for students, including the Learning Resource Center, The Bridge, and Support Services.
- Get comfortable with technology
- Time management and research are a big part of student life, and understanding how to properly use technology will create much better use of your time
- KCC offers free academic workshops to help you brush up on computer basics. Feel free to attend as many of these workshops as you’d like.
Phone: 269-965-3931 ext. 2392