To qualify for an academic Outstanding Bruin Award, students must major or exhibit interest in their award area; earn a 3.5 or higher GPA in their award area; evidence significant creative growth; and exhibit a high degree of participation in and/or contributions to the department activities in one or more capacities.
Instructional Division Awards
Arts & Sciences
- Integrative Learning: Service-Learning Commitment Award
- Art, Education, & Social Science: Outstand Achievement in Creative Writing, Outstanding Early Childhood Education Program Graduate, Outstanding Education Major Graduate, Outstanding Human Services Program Graduate, Outstanding Achievement in Photography & Multimedia, Outstanding Student in Social Science
- Mathematics & Science: Outstanding Achievement in Biology, Outstanding Achievement in Chemistry, Outstanding Achievement in Mathematics, Outstanding Achievement in Physics, Outstanding Achievement in Physical Science
- Fine Arts & Communication: Excellence in Art – Binda Award, Excellence in Communication – Binda Award, Excellence in Music – Binda Award, Excellence in Theatre – Binda Award, Outstanding Achievement in Art, Outstanding Achievement in Communication, Outstanding Achievement in English, Outstanding Achievement in Foreign Language, Outstanding Achievement in Music, Outstanding Achievement in Theatre
Career & Occupational Education
- Business & Information Technology: Outstanding Business Management Graduate, Outstanding Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Graduate, Outstanding Computer Engineering Technology Graduate, Outstanding Graphic Design Graduate, Outstanding Office Information Technology Graduate
- Breaking Traditions Award
- Health: Outstanding Dental Hygiene Graduate, Outstanding Magnetic Resonance Imaging Graduate, Outstanding Medical Assistant Graduate, Outstanding Physical Therapist Assistant Graduate, Outstanding Radiography Graduate, Outstanding Associate Degree Full-Time Nursing Graduate, Outstanding Associate Degree Part-Time Nursing Graduate
- Industrial Trades: Outstanding Industrial Skilled Trades Student
- Public Safety Education: Outstanding Criminal Justice Graduate, Outstanding Emergency Medical Services Student
Awards are also given to the overall outstanding full- and part-time graduates in each of the College’s two academic divisions. Winners are selected by faculty and administrators from the department that corresponds with each award.
In addition to academic departmental awards, KCC also awards the following:
Student & Community Services Division
- All-Michigan Academic Team: Two awardees are selected each year in collaboration with Phi Theta Kappa, USA Today, and the American Association of Community College to represent KCC. Students are selected based on academic achievement, community service involvement, and leadership accomplishment.
- Catalyst Award: The Catalyst Award honors a student who has sparked positive change at the College and is deeply engaged in campus activities such as Student Life programs, athletic events and/or volunteering at College events. The winner is very school spirited and has a never-ending bucket of positivity.
- Emerging Leader Award: The Emerging Leader Award recognizes a first-year student who demonstrates promising leadership talent and has exhibited initiative on campus through engaging in campus activities.
- Golden Hammer Award: The Golden Hammer Award honors a student that has faced many obstacles and barriers but always find a way to persist onward. This student is resilient and known for busting barriers.
- Level Up Award: The Level Up Award recognizes a student employee at KCC who has demonstrated significant personal growth while excelling in their job at the College. This type of personal growth and on-the-job excellence is what will help this student “level up” professionally.
- Outstanding Scholar-Athlete: One male and one female scholar-athletes are selected who have excelled both in the classroom as well as in their sport, demonstrating leadership qualities in all aspects of their life.
- Program of the Year Award: The Program of the Year Award recognizes an event, project or program planned during the academic year that has had a positive impact on students.
- Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award is given to an advisor nominated by their students. Advisors have made outstanding contributions to the success and development of the organization as well as its individual student members.
- Registered Student Organization of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization of the Year Award recognizes an organization that stands out among other student organizations based on its programming, spirit and overall contributions to the College.
- Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award recognizes a student RSO officer who stands out from other officers through leadership and going above and beyond the scope of their position, often handling the “in between” tasks that do not align with any specific position.
- Student Veteran Award: The Student Veteran Award recognizes an outstanding student who served in a branch of the U.S. military and demonstrates continued service by taking an active role on campus or in the community.
The Student & Community Services Division also selects an overall outstanding student to represent the Trailblazer Award. Students who receive this award have achieved academically, developed new leadership skills, exemplified the spirit of what it means to be a Bruin, and have blazed their own trail. Winners are selected by a committee of employees from the Student & Community Services Division.